OKAY! A pretty, frilly, flowery headband is just the solution we need. After some trial and error (and a small fire) this is the result:
|How could anyone think that that button nose belongs to a boy?|
- 1/3 of a yard of meltable fabric (Silk was okay, but satin or polyester would be better.)
- "Fun Fur" yarn (about a 6" piece)
- One button
- A small piece of felt (2" x 2')
- Pattern pieces
- Disappearing ink pen
- A flame (I used a barbecue lighter)
- Needle and thread
- Hot Glue
Here are the directions:
First I cut out patterns out of leftover chipboard from here. I found a flower shape I liked and sized it up and down using my printer and a little math. Ironically, I was reviewing these exact math problems with one of the students that I tutor on the same day. (See, you will use those math problems again.)
|Just for fun!|
This ink was a real bear to remove. Dabbing with a damp cloth didn't work. I eventually had to soak down the edges of the cut flowers with a spray bottle.
|All of the dabbing caused the edges to fray. No biggie!|
|It was just luck that I caught this photo mid-spray.|
|Waiting for the flowers to dry.|
I singed the edges of the flowers once the flowers were dry. I did this part of the project when my children were not around to watch. I do not want them trying this themselves. Here is where I ran into some trouble. The three smaller flowers worked well, but the larger flowers were tricky. I got several black smoke streaks on the petals of the flowers (and there was the fire that I mentioned earlier).
|You can see the aftermath of the fire on the top petal on the right.|
I think that the silk just needs more time to singe than satin or polyester and the larger petals needed even more time. Those factors compounded on each other to make some not-so-pretty results. I decided in the end to use only the three smallest sizes to complete the headband. I ended up liking the results. A larger flower would have overwhelmed my daughter's head.
I stacked the petals one on top of another keeping the matte sides up and stitched them all together. After a few stitches to prevent slipping, I added the Fun Fur. I took the 6" piece of Fun Fur and made several loose knots one on top of another at one end to form a core. I wrapped the rest of the yarn around the core. I made sure to keep the frilly strands loose. I did this to mimic the stamens of real flowers.
Next, I sewed a vintage rhinestone button to the top of the flower leaving the "stamens" to flutter around the edges. Several years ago my grandfather gave me my grandmother's button box. She was a very talented fashion designer and taught many other designers when she was younger. The button I used for my daughter's headband was from her box. I love the thought that my daughter will be wearing something that belonged to her great-grandmother.
|That is one beautiful button!|
All that is left is to attach the flower to the headband. Take your piece of felt and cut a circle large enough to support your flower as it is sitting on the headband. Mine ended up being around 2" in diameter. (See, there's more of that math.) Put the softest side of the felt down and slather (yes, I said slather) hot glue all over the top side.
|It is hard to see, but there IS hot glue slathered all over the place!|
Lastly, put the headband on your daughter and pray that she will sit still long enough to get a clear photo.
|Nope! (But you can see the stamens and a lot of sparkle.)|
|Still no! (It must be Tyrone's fault.)|
|THERE'S THE MONEY SHOT!|